In this blog we talk about what factors you can consider in creating an eco-friendly kitchen. As professional kitchen designers we can go to whatever level of sustainability you desire, and by considering the below options will make a big difference in your hub of the home.
Over the last few years we have seen how plastic is damaging our environment, from plastic bags to single plastic drinks bottles that are clogging up our waterways and oceans.
National Refill Day is on June 19th, which is a day dedicated to encouraging people to switch from a single plastic bottle to a reusable one and filling it at home. Investing in a filter tap, along with reusable water bottles for all the family – will help you to reduce plastic waste enormously.
The Quooker tap is a great option for cold filtered water and is also a boiling water tap. If you just want a cold-water tap then Perrin & Rowe have a great collection.
Our client below in Harringay chose a Quooker boiling tap for their special sink area to provide the hub of the home with instant boiling water and cold filtered water.
Recycling materials are a great opportunity to style your kitchen, they can create stunning design pieces while saving the earth too!
Our client below in Woodford Green decided to keep the exisiting kitchen where it was orignally built 3 years ago for the property’s previous owner. The new owner of the property built this huge open-plan extension and contacted us to keep the kitchen, as they loved how sturdy and beautiful it is. We adjusted the layout of the furniture to suit the new space, repainted the cabinets and fitted new worktops, sink and tap.
Quartz is one of the best materials for a kitchen worktop and here at Nicholas Bridger we believe in this. From its style, performance and cost, quartz worktops deliver a premium look and feel but offer durable, low maintenance and long lasting properties. The engineered stone is made up of approximately 93% natural quartz mineral, with the remaining 7% made up of fragments, pigments and resins to give the slab its overall strength and consistent design.
There are many benefits to having a quartz work surface.
- They are durable and long lasting
- Many colours and styles are available to suit the style of your handmade kitchen
- Quartz consists of a totally sealed and polished surface
- Heat, scratch and stain resistant
- Low-maintenance and anti-bacterial properties is why quartz is a much loved product
Energy efficient kitchen features
There are so many different features to include into your kitchen design that are energy efficient, we look at a few below…
- Adding dimmer switches to the lights allows you to adjust the wattage. This will allow you to decide when the room should be brighter, saving some energy in the process. Use LED bulbs where you can. They are more expensive but last longer, resulting in energy savings and fewer, lifetime replacements.
- Upgrading your sink faucets to touch-free makes it more convenient and easy-to-use, with minimizing water waste with the automatic shut off.
Sub-Zero Wolf Appliances
At Nicholas Bridger we like to promote Sub-Zero Wolf appliances not only for their superior performance and reliability, but also because the appliances are energy efficient and the manufacturing facilities and processes are constantly improved with the environment in mind, see some of the facts below.
Many of our clients have opted for Sub-Zero Wolf appliances in their kitchen.
- Over 30 of Sub-Zero Wolf appliances have earned the Energy Star rating for outstanding energy efficiency – meaning, they are required to use about 15% less energy than non-certified models.
- The average Sub-Zero product uses less electricity than a 75-watt bulb.
- All Sub-Zero refrigerators keep food fresher for longer, so owners throw away less food each year due to spoilage.
- Over 75% of the stainless steel used within Sub-Zero Wolf products are from recycled material
- Up to 50% of the plastic in the Sub-Zero refrigerators is recycled material
- Sub-Zero Wolf have significantly reduced their use of ozone-forming hydrocarbon solvents
- No wastewater is produced in manufacturing for either Sub-Zero or Wolf
- Sub-Zero uses a chilled water storage system to charge building cooling systems at night when utilities are operating most efficiently
At Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove, we aspire to be a leader not only in the preservation and preparation of food, but in the preservation of our planet as well – Sub-Zero Wolf’s commitment to sustainability
Our client below in the Bishop’s Stortford project chose both Sub-Zero & Wolf appliances to fill their home with reliable and outstanding products that are perfect for delivering an eco-friendly kitchen.